Follow along with the sermon and take notes, November 18th
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.
19 I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations. Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness. 20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. 21 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
UNDER LAW (Position)
* acceptance with God is based on your performance
NOTE: You can act as if you are under law (practice)
* living a rules oriented, getting it right life (self righteous)
DEPICTED IN ROMANS 7
UNDER GRACE (Position)
* acceptance with God is based on Jesus' performance record
NOTE: You can live out this life under grace (practice)
* living a relationship oriented, responding to the Spirit's leading life (Spirit controlled)
DEPICTED IN ROMANS 8
Why should we choose daily surrender to Christ as our Lord?
1. Because you embraced Him as Savior with surrender, verses 16-18
2. Because you were placed under His teaching, verse 17b
3. Because your choices determine your character, verse 19
4. Because you have seen the benefits of doing so, verses 20-23
Scriptures taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.™ Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved worldwide. www.zondervan.com The “NIV” and “New International Version” are trademarks registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office by Biblica, Inc.™